Do I need travel insurance for Backpacking Europe?
Europe is not a third-world country, so who needs travel insurance? Not me. I'm a young, free-spirted backpacker. Oh, and I'm covered under my parent's policy. Besides, I never believed in insurance anyway - it's for grown ups. However, Bakpak Dave, resident travel expert (who's all grown up now) says think again.
First off, it's not that expensive. Really. Maybe it cuts a day of travel off your trip but, if something happens (knock on wood), you will be covered and you will likely avoid the headaches and inconveniences that come to those without insurance, and that would ultimately knock days off your travel adventure. So we say, pony up and get insurance. But before you make that purchase, here are a few things to consider when choosing your insurance to make sure that you will be covered on your adventure:
- Cancellation: It's no fun if you fall ill before you leave and cannot go on your trip. To claim though, you have to buy your insurance policy when you buy your trip. Not all insurance policies cover cancellation, so please read the policy wording relevant to you carefully.
- Lost or Stolen Gear: Most travel insurance policies have a per-item value limit – make sure its high enough to cover your gear or choose a policy that allows you to increase the limit.
- Medical expenses over and above evacuation: Check that your cover includes emergency treatment while away and transport to bring you home – remembering that insurance providers will usually insist on getting you home as soon as you are fit enough to travel.
- Adventurous Activities: Look carefully at what your policy covers - you may find that you are not covered to do all of the adventurous activities that you are planning while you're away.
- Personal Liability: Accidents happen. If it's found to be your fault and someone decides to sue you, you want to be covered.
Fortunately, Bakpak has combed the travel world for the best insurance policies for the backpacker heading off to Europe. And we've come up with a great company called World Nomads, which was created to provide excellent and affordable travel insurance policies for backpackers, students and adventure travelers.
About World Nomads
World Nomads travel insurance is available to people from over 150 countries and is designed for adventurous travellers with cover for overseas medical, evacuation, baggage and activities such as skiing and snowboarding. You can buy, extend and claim online even after you've left home.