Backpacking Europe: Types of Tours Available
There are many different types of tours available to backpackers, and all of these tours offer something different. Picking the right tour can make or break your trip, so it is important to know what you’re getting in to! To help you make a decision, we have explained the various types of tours available:
- Guided group Tours – Guided tours are the way to go if you don’t want to worry about the details of your trip. Usually conducted in groups, guided tours are tours that are arranged and led by qualified guides. These tours usually include transportation, accommodations, and activities. The only thing you have to do is show up! Check out some excellent backpacker tours listed on our site.
- Independent Tours – Independent tours, or independent travel, are completely arranged by the traveler. You are in charge of deciding where you want to go, how you want to get there, where you want to stay, what you want to see, and when you want to see it. You are completely in charge! You can use Bakpak Guide as a base for planning your trip.
- Active/Adventure Tours – These tours are usually guided group tours that incorporate some form of adventure. Tours exist that are centered around biking, kayaking, hiking, or any other type of activity. Be prepared to work hard! One excellent company is Intrepid Travel and Gap Adventures
- Hop On/Hop Off Tours – Also known as jump-on/ jump-off, these tours are a great way to travel cheaply and at your own pace. While on the bus it’s a tour but you can get off at designated points along the way and catch the next bus coming through! Check out some excellent hop-on/hop off tours in our backpacker tours section.
- Day Tours – The name says it all: day tours are guided tours that can last anywhere from an hour to all day, but no longer. These can be centered around adventure, but are often sightseeing tours. Day tours are usually found in cities or around well-known attractions. Check out the local visitor’s bureau for information on tours offered. Bakpak has listed a number of excellent day tours in each city/region's destination pages.
- Trekking – Trekking is a multi-day tour that usually takes place in undeveloped, rugged areas. It usually involves an extensive amount of hiking, but can also involve other types of physical activity, such as biking or kayaking. This type of tour is usually more physical and harder than typical active/adventure tours.